Pumpkin Seed and Tomatillo Gazpacho Recipe
By August 1, 2013Published:
- Yield: 08 Servings
- 1/2 heaping cup pumpkin seeds unsalted and shelled (pepitas)
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small cucumber diced
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 12-ounce container cherry tomatoes halved
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, finely grind the pumpkin seeds in a food processor. Leave them in the processor and set aside.
- Grill the tomatillos and poblano until the tomatillos are slightly charred and the poblano is charred all over, around 13 to 15 minutes. Add the tomatillos to the food processor. Peel, seed and coarsely chop the poblano and add to the food processor, along with the garlic. Process until coarsely pureed, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the stock, salt and pepper. Cover and chill about 3 hours until cold. Just before serving, stir in the onions, cilantro, olive oil, cucumber, avocado and tomatoes. Serve cold or at room temperature.