Spicy sweet potato soup with greens Recipe
By September 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups diced sweet onions
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 small bunch turnip greens cut in strips
- hot cooked rice
- 1 lime cut in wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- Place the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onions. Saute 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sweet potatoes, garlic, peppers, salt, coriander and turmeric. Saute 2 minutes longer and add water and coconut milk. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Stir in the greens and continue to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. If soup is too thick, add a bit more water. Divide the soup into serving bowls and top with a large spoonful of hot rice. Squeeze the lime over the top and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.